Saturday 5th November 2011

Natural History Walk at Uphill

On a dry, cooler and eventually sunny morning seven members met at the car park on Uphill Way. We took the path through the boat yard from the sluice gate. We stopped to observe the remains of a lime kiln at the first kissing gate before passing on the left the quarry and cliffs where once a little-owl could be seen regularly. A discussion of the geology of the cliff face proved interesting.

In the bushes and hedges along the path adjacent to the marina where we noticed the old explosive store used by the quarry workers we recorded hawthorns with berries, field maples, the leaves of which were changing colour, hazel, ash and willow.

After the next kissing gate we left the main path and crossed to our right entering the Walborough Reserve and straight away could see that the tide was out on the river Axe exposing the mud banks, it was approximately another three hours before the next high tide. Some waders were present in the creeks being teal, mallard, redshank, together with blackheaded and lesser black-backed gulls.

<b>Herb Robert</b>
Herb Robert

We followed the contours round the tumulus of the reserve noting some plants still in flower, these being knapweed, red clover, hawkweed, charlock daisy, buttercup, dandelion, field scabious and herb-robert. Further on round the hill we observed yarrow, narrow leaved plantain, butterbur and henbane. Birds seen on the reserve were blackbird, robin, linnets, finches, crows and woodpigeons.

The return walk was along the main path from the far side of the reserve near where the West Mendip Way began. in the hedgerow blackthorn with sloes and wild roses with hips, together with some great and long-tailed tits were noted, chaffinches were heard.

After returning through a kissing gate we left the path again skirt to round the marina to the river and saw coltsfoot, sea beet, lichens on bushes and heard curlew; we noted marrom grass on the banks of the river washed by the tides.

We enjoyed the walk of about two miles, and were back at the car park within two hours.

Malcolm Marston